Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The past week ...

has been pure hell for many reasons, but the number one reason is because one of my very good friends, Stephanie, is in the hospital fighting for her life.  She's only 26.  It's just not fair.  I keep trying to wrap my head around it, but I just don't know how.  Like I said, she's only 26 years old.  She's a wife to Michael (USAF) and a mama to Sara Faith (4) and June Claire (19 months).  She's a daughter, sister, niece, cousin and friend.  A devout Christian and the sweetest person I know.  She's always the most positive, upbeat, encouraging person.  I just cannot imagine a world without Stephanie in it.

Last week, right before Thanksgiving, Stephanie went in for a bone marrow biopsy where she found out she had a rare form of leukemia called Acute Pramyeloytic Leukemia (APL). You'll have to google it to know exactly what it means/does.  She was too weak to start the induction phase, and then at some point through the night Sunday night she was put into a medically induced coma.  For what reason, I'm still unclear.  Then, to make matters even worse, on Tuesday her kidneys shut down.  The doctors have her on a ventilator, dialysis and 100% oxygen.  The dialysis is working to keep her alive, but that's about it.  Yesterday the doctors started chemo in hopes of reversing the kidney failure.  They said it could take up to three days to see any signs of improvement.  Well, my friends ... this evening we received the best news any of us have heard in a very long time!  The dialysis is working, she's down to 55% oxygen.  When she stabilizes at 30% oxygen, they will try to take her off the ventilator.  Then they will try to wake her up.  Praise God!!!

I will leave you with this ... I am not a church-goer, but I do believe in Christ.  To me, you don't have to be a church-goer to believe in a higher power and the power of prayer.  I can see God doing what He does best ... make miracles happen.  If you're not already, I encourage you to say a prayer for my friend and her family.  They could all use it right now!  I also encourage you to go hug your spouse, babies and all the rest of your family a little tighter tonight and every night.  Life is so precious.  It can be taken away in the blink of an eye.  <3

No comments: