Monday, September 17, 2012

DIY Letters: Jacob's Bedroom

I've been planning these letters for so long now!  I'm so happy to have them done and hung - they look amazing!! And, the best part??  They were easy to make!

Supplies:

Plaques (I bought mine at Michaels for $2.50/each)
Letters (I bought mine 4 years ago when Jacob was born at Michaels - I don't remember how much they were, though.  Couldn't have been more than $1-$2/each.)
Spray paint (preferably in two different colors, so the letters POP!)
3M Adhesive Picture Hangers
Picture Hanging Brackets

As I mentioned above, I bought the letters back when I was pregnant with Jacob and had already painted them a light blue to match the color of shelves that are hung in his room (a full post with pictures of his room will come later).  So, this part was already taken care of.

Photobucket
Jacob's proud of his letters. :)
  Photobucket

I went to Michaels and purchased five plain wood plaques for $2.50/each and some spray paint (that came from Walmart).  I got Dual spray paint that was paint + primer ... it took four coats of paint which was 1.5 cans.  Anyway, I painted the plaques over the course of a couple of days.  I let them completely dry for 3-4 days.  Spray paint doesn't dry like regular paint, apparently and it took that long for all the moisture to get out.  It was really humid at the time, so I guess that was why.

Photobucket 
 I got different shaped plaques to add a little spunk to the letters, also.

Then I tacked picture hanging brackets on the back of each plaque.  And, then used the 3M adhesive picture hangers to attach the letters to the plaques.  That simple!!  And, if I do say so myself, they look pretty awesome! :)

I had to have my handy dad come hang them for me, though ... there was NO way I could have hung them on the wall and had them look this nice!


Photobucket 

 Finished product!!! 

  Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those turned out really cute!