Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We will never forget!

Photobucket

September 11, 2001.  A day that so many Americans will never forget.  It quickly became a day like the day JFK was assassinated - you will always remember where you were "when the world stopped turning".  For me, I was sitting at my desk in Monroeville, PA at a temp job.  John and I were living nearby at the time in a tiny apartment.  He was working for Highmark BC/BS in one of the high-rise buildings in downtown Pittsburgh.  I remember I didn't understand at the time the severity of what was going on.  After I heard of the plane crashing in Shanksville, I got extremely worried as it seemed to be getting closer to home.  I took my break at work and called John.  They were evacuating the entire downtown area.  He ended up walking out of downtown and to Mt. Washington to his friend's house for the rest of the day.

September 11, 2001.  A day I've grown to hate.  I wasn't even closely effected by the tragedies that happened that day, but I've still grown to hate and dread this day every year.  The weeks and days leading up the 11th leave me full of anxiety.  I often put myself in the place of those in the hijacked planes, the twin towers or at the pentagon.  I wonder what that must have been like for them, but at the same time I thank God I don't know, and I pray I never do.

September 11, 2001.  A day that is forever embedded in our minds.  A day that I'm thankful my children weren't around to witness, but I'm sad that some day I'll have to explain it to them.  I just pray I can find the words when it's time.

This post is dedicated to all the men, women and children (yes, there were children on those flights) who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.  To all the firemen and police officers who gave their lives to help save someone else's, and to all the men and women of our military who are continuing to fight the war on terrorism.

September 11, 2001 - We will never forget!!

No comments: