Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Congenital Heart Walk 2013

It pains me a little to write this post, but I'm going to anyway so I can have it documented for our family.  This past June (on the 22nd) was the annual Congenital Heart Walk in Pittsburgh.  Last year I was invited to attend, but opted to stay home because John was going to PA already for a guys' weekend and I wanted time at home alone.  Now, in hindsight, I wish I had gone since it was the first and last walk my sister ever did.  I already had planned to attend this year, though, when Ashlee passed away, so I kept that promise and still went anyway. It was a super hot and humid day, but sunny and not a cloud in the sky! We brought the stroller with us just in case one of the kids pooped out and needed to hitch a ride. I can't remember for sure, but I think we finally stuck Henry in when we were about 3/4 of the way through the walk. He did really good, though, considering he's a two year old with short little legs. haha

   photo IMG_6004_wm_zps5e826468.jpg

It was a hard day, but I was proud of myself that I held it together for the most part. A few tears, but thankful for sunglasses ... no one could tell! My oldest cousin and her daughter were able to come, so it was really nice getting to see them. My younger cousin was supposed to be there, but couldn't come last minute .. we missed him!

   photo IMG_6003_wm_zps4d4ea083.jpg  photo IMG_6007_wm_zpsc23a8d2b.jpg  photo IMG_6008_wm_zps68711ec9.jpg 

 The walk was 1 mile and went through North Park. It was such a pretty walk! I ended up walking almost 2 miles because I'd run ahead to tell John something and then walk back to see how Henry was doing. That went on for awhile which is when I just stuck him in the stroller. lol Got in some good exercise that day, though!

   photo IMG_6006_wm_zpsab9d7c5d.jpg  photo IMG_6005_wm_zpsb765aecc.jpg  photo IMG_6009_wm_zps51fbed33.jpg 

 Here's Henry bringing up the rear with Pap. So cute!

   photo IMG_6010_wm_zpsc224d951.jpg  photo IMG_6011_wm_zps9c179640.jpg

This walk is also very kid-friendly! Lots of fun stuff for the kids ... face painting, balloon animals .. all sorts of fun stuff! After the walk was over we went out to Sewickley, so I could go visit Ashlee and see her new headstone. It was finally put in in late May/early June. That, too, was pretty painful, but I'm glad I went. Her headstone is gorgeous. Mike did an awesome job picking it out.

   photo IMG_6018A_wm_zpsb3bd3a66.jpg 

 "It really sinks in when I see it in stone" 
~ Miranda Lambert - Over You

   photo IMG_6024_wm_zps150c149d.jpg


No comments: