Monday, October 8, 2012

Next week ...

Next week is going to be pretty stressful for our little family.  On Tuesday John will be going in for a standard back operation.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.  I always get nervous before any type of surgery - mine or someone else's that I love.  I can't remember all the medical terminology, but the bottom line is that one of his discs in his lower back is almost non-existent causing him tremendous pain all the time.  He's been in pain and it's been gradually getting worse for the past few years, so it's time to have this done.  I don't like the thought of it, but I know he's going to feel like a new man when it's all over with.

So, on Tuesday morning at 6:30 he will need to be at the hospital for his first surgery.  Yes, you read that right.  FIRST surgery.  The surgery should take about an hour.  Then on Thursday he will have his second surgery.  If I remember correctly from back in August when I went with him to the Spine Institute for the appointment where they went over all the surgery details, the first surgery is to remove the deteriorating disc and then the second one is to go back in and put a cage in between the two vertebrae.  I can't remember exactly why they can't just do it all once, but I know they can't.  :)  He'll probably be discharged to come home on Saturday or Sunday and then he'll spend about a month recovering at home.

I haven't shared any of this on Facebook, so only close friends and family know about it, but it's almost that time, so I want to document it (which is the main reason for my blog - to document our life together) and share with everyone what is going on. And, if I seem testy next week, this is why. :)  Please keep us all, but mainly John, in your thoughts and prayers next week, and I'll update after each surgery.  Thank you!!

No comments: