Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012: A Year in Review

I had such high hopes for 2012.  I specifically remember on New Year's Eve last year kissing John and saying "this is our year, babe!" and it was to some extent, but it was also a year I'd love to just wipe right off the calendar.  Just a few hours after I made that statement, and about one hour in to the new year, I fell down the stairs at my in-laws house and sprained both my ankles.  :(  I was supposed to have lunch the next day with my sister, brother-in-law and my parents, but I couldn't even move off the couch without a LOT of help.  So, John had to take the kids by himself.  It was definitely not how I had planned to spend the first few days of the new year.  It took about three weeks for me to be able to get around properly and then a few more months before I was able to wear any shoe other than slip-on flats.

In May I was finally able to quit my full-time job and stay home with the kids.  That was a long time coming, but I've been so happy to finally be able to fulfill that dream.  It's definitely a hard job, but I wouldn't trade it for a normal 9-5 job, ever.

In August, we were finally able to move in to a bigger house.  I've loved decorating our new place and getting everything all set up.  I'm not done by any means, but what I have done looks so good!

October was both a good month and the worst month of my life.  Henry turned 2 on the 14th, and the day before we had his second birthday party at our new house.  That's been a dream of mine ever since we had kids, so to be able to actually have one of the boys' birthday parties at our house was just awesome.

Then, one week after Henry's birthday party, a tragedy struck our family.  My younger, and only, sister passed away at the young age of just 29.  It's been a rough time adjusting to life without her and trying to accept the fact that she's gone and never coming back.  We're just sort of taking things one day at a time.  One of my main goals for 2013 is to try to move past this constant grief I feel and start living my life again.

For Thanksgiving this year none of us felt like doing much, so we went out to eat.  Lame, huh??  For Christmas, we made more of an effort and I think we all had a pretty decent holiday despite that nagging thought in the back of all of our minds.  Our plans for NYE this year are to have some close friends over and my parents, eat some yummy food and drink some yummy drinks!

As for my 2012 goals, they are listed below ... I didn't complete even one of them, but I did get about 75% done with a few of them:

1) Wish every Facebook friend a Happy Birthday this year. (It sounds silly, but I feel bad when I miss one.)

Didn't do every single person, I'm sure, but I probably wished 75% of the people on my FB friends list a "Happy Birthday" this year. :)

2) Start eating more heatlhy and get in shape.

I've been slipping lately at this, but for the first 3/4 of the year I did really good, and I've lost 15 lbs since the beginning of the year, AND managed to keep it off despite the fact that I haven't been to the gym since May.

3) I'd like to attend church at least 50% of the year.

Big, fat FAIL. :(  Better luck next year?

4) Read one book a month.

Read 9 of 12 books this year. Not too shabby considering I used to only read maybe 2-3 books a year.

5) Swear a LOT less.

Was doing better about this, but not so much lately. :(
6) Control my temper a lot more.

Same.  Was doing okay, but not so much anymore.

No comments: