Sunday, February 12, 2012

Reading Corner ~ Book 2 of 12

I'm doing really good on my reading goal!  We're only halfway through February (the shortest month of the year, mind you) and I've already read one book.  If you know me at all and know the kind of reader I am (slow! - well, not that I read slow, I just don't usually have much time for it, so it takes a really long time for me to finish one book.), you know that this is amazing! 

The Hunger Games - by: Suzanne Collins

Photobucket

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When her sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place.

At first I didn't think I was going to like this book, to be honest.  The thought of sending children in to a ring to fight for their lives had me in tears at first.  But ... if you can get past the first chapter or two, you will definitely be glad you did.  You won't be able to put this book down - trust me!

This was the first post-apocalypse book I have ever read, so I really didn't know what I was in for.  It's interesting to see this author's point of view on what happens after the world as we know it comes to an end.  I might have to check out some other post-apocalypse books after I finish this series (there are three books total in The Hunger Games series), so if you have any others you recommend, leave me a comment and I'd love to check them out! :)

No comments: