Also, just a quick note ... if you don't have a slow cooker, you can bake this in the oven at 350 for 60 minutes or until chicken is tender when poked with a fork.
- 4-6 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 to 6 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese
- 4 to 6 thin slices smoked ham
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to shake the chicken in
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, Swiss or Colby shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter or use 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon bacon grease (more is needed)
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder or use sauteed onions instead (I didn't have onion powder, so I used garlic powder instead)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (opt)
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap. Using a mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/4″ thickness.
- Season each piece of chicken with salt & pepper.
- Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on each breast. (I would suggest using 2 slices of cheese to 1 slice of ham. I only used 1 of each and didn't seem like it was enough cheese.)
- Roll up each breast (tucking loose ends in if necessary) and using a toothpick, secure the ends.
- Dredge each in flour & shake off any excess.
- In a skillet, add a few tablespoons of oil and turn your heat to med/high. When the oil is hot, carefully place your chicken rolls in the skillet and brown both sides of the chicken until nice and golden brown.
Directions for Sauce:
- Over medium heat, melt butter and add the milk, whipping cream, chicken broth, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, onion powder and the sugar.
- Whisk together.
- Add the flour, and stir quickly until the roux is bubbly and smooth.
- Continue whisking over med. heat until it has thickened – about 10 minutes. Turn heat to low!
- Add the grated cheeses. (Cheddar, Colby, Swiss & Parmesan).
- Stir well until nice and smooth and creamy.
Note: If the sauce seems a bit too thick after all the cheese has been added, simply add a bit of chicken broth or milk and stir well. This sauce should not be as thick as pancake batter. You will want it a bit thinner. If you want additional seasonings add them now.
Pour the sauce over top the browned chicken in the slow cooker and cover with a lid.
CAUTION: Every slow cooker – cooks differently! When the chicken is fork tender, and falls apart easily…it is done.
Approximate cooking time: Heat on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir sauce in slow cooker occasionally.
Alternate sauce: If you don't want to do the homemade sauce, you can also use 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup and 1 can of milk together to take the place of the homemade sauce. I paired our Chicken Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes (because I didn't want that yummy sauce going to waste) and green beans. So good!!!